Monday, December 29, 2008

Smooth as Silk, again...!


I have no doubt by now that everyone knows that I rather like flying with Thai... There are 2 simple reasons for this: the reasonably priced business class fares and the food and service are mostly great; better than some of the 'premium' airlines.

After arriving at BKK from a long flight - I made a much needed visit to the Royal Orchid Spa for a foot massage. Every time I visit the spa, I thank my lucky stars! It is such a nice touch and of course delivered with lovely Thai charm and grace. I also really like the cinnamon tea and muesli bar they give to you at the conclusion whilst you recover in the waiting area! Apart from leaving the spa relaxed and ready for a shower, it puts me in the mood for my next flight.




As I approached the boarding are for my next flight, I was slightly stressed I was going to be late, as I had to have that quick shower! But as the gate became visible in the huge BKK terminal, all was OK... Boarding was delayed by 20 mins :-) I boarded and took my seat 16F, my home for the next 10 hrs... As always, the crew was so welcoming as they took my jacket and I relaxed in my seat prior to take-off. I have to be in the mood to talk to my seat mates on long flights, I soon realised my fellow traveller in 16E was a nice chap and we sparked up a great conversation. In no time we were away and served the fishcake welcome dish, what Thai deem the 'Hot Savoury'... I have mentioned these before... Yum, a great start!



After the fishcakes, I was ready to have a small feast! Next for Airgroove was the Marinated Salmon, Tossed Brown Soba Noodles, Smoked French Ham with Melon Balls and Mirin Dressing in Tomato. All were really good and I enjoyed a glass of Macon Cruzille, Les Avoueries 1999 with my meal - and jolly good it was too! All the components of this meal worked well and I was now hankering for my main course...


For main course, I decided to have the Lamb Noisette with Fresh Peppercorn, Pan fried Spatzley with vegetables. I have to say the lamb was a little over fatty, I found that I could only eat half of the dish as I was cutting away so much fat... Shame, but what I did eat was OK... Not the best dish though, Thai... To accompany my meal, I had a glass or 3 of Chateau Garraud, Lalande De Pomerol, 2004 - the wine was much better than the food, the only saving grace...



After dinner, I opted to have a bit of a nap and pass the movie selection... I literally remember falling to sleep and waking up to breakfast being served, it had a been a long second flight after all! I was fickle about breakfast and eventually decided on the Noodle Soup with Fish and Shrimp Balls - it was good! Just what I needed - I was over cheese and bread, so this was a great alternative and given I don't eat eggs on a plane, it certainly hit the spot!



Again, thanks Thai... As smooth as silk...

No comments: